A living example of Maryland history, the JOLLY DOLPHIN is a two-masted, wooden sailing vessel modeled on Chesapeake Bay oyster dredgers but built for recreational use. Sometimes called a “workboat yacht,” it was custom-built for the Mick family of Delaware by James B. Richardson on LeCompte Creek in Dorchester County, Maryland. She was launched in 1958.
The original family story has it that the name ‘JOLLY DOLPHIN’ came from a character in a children’s book entitled ‘Nautical Ned’ by Clare Randolph — supposedly the favorite book of the original owners’ children.
From 1964 to 2007, the JOLLY DOLPHIN passed into the hands of a half dozen owners, the last having abandoned her ashore. So she was ready for a new steward when current owner Jack Zuraw found her and began the restoration of this three sail bateau — an almost forgotten piece by Chesapeake history.
She is berthed on the Magothy River. Owner and Captain Jack Zuraw holds an inland U.S. Coast Guard 50-ton Masters Credential with sail endorsement.
JOLLY DOLPHIN Overview from Charles Germain and the Magothy River Association.
JOLLY DOLPHIN Engine, Rigging and Sails by Charles Germain and the Magothy River Association.
JOLLY DOLPHIN Restoration in Focus by Charles Germain and the Magothy River Association.